Sunday 19 September 2010

Everyone's a little bit geeky...

Friday night saw me donning my finest pair of black rimmed specs and channeling my inner school girl geek as I excitedly prepared to attend my first 18th birthday party in around, well seven years now! Black and white was the sophisticated dress code. A dress code I hear you say. Indeed, this party was already exceeding my expectations as the only requirement to the 18th birthday parties I attended seven years ago was to drink as much Martini as was humanly possible and make sure you drank it from a willy straw! How times have changed!


Wearing my new Topshop playsuit, teamed with black patent New Look wedges, black patent Topshop heart bag and my geeky specs, I was feeling like Ugly Betty's, younger, slightly more fashion savvy sister and I was intrigued as to what the night would hold. With over a hundred 17 and 18 year olds, all out to have a good time, I couldn't help but notice the vanishing hemlines sported by 99% of the girls! Now, I know I'm not old before my time and I definitely am not a prude but since when is it acceptable to wear (if you can call it that) a skirt that just skims the cheeks? Regardless of the dropping temperatures, dozens of girls almost faught it out to become Princess of the Mini , playing hemline limbo and seeing just how low they could go before looking and quite literally becoming, a total ass. I chose my winner, and very well deserved it was too.


A particular highlight of my night took place in the ladies toilets, not suprisingly. As the hub of most female activity in most, if not all, social occasions where alcohol is involved I would expect nothing less than a drunken run in with a total stranger! When conversing about where I bought my outfit and how much I loved her shoes (brown leather, peep toe wedges from Zara), the conversation then switched to how I knew the birthday girl and what school I go to! Full of school girl naivity...and neon blue alcopops, she squealed 'What school are you at, or do you go to college?' Pah! How to let her down gently was my first thought but worringly I also thought I might get away with answering her, 'Oh you know, I'm just at the local grammar school, it's a blast!' Changing my mind, I smiled and shaked my head, to which she responded 'Oh are you at uni then?' Oh. Dear. Silence filled the toilets and with the sound of the flush ringing in my ears, I explained I was old and I worked, in a job, in an office, in London, with other workers. Oh and I'm 25. 'Noooooooo way, I thought you were younger than me, you only look 17!!!' And with that, I pushed my specs up to the bridge of my nose, reapplied my lippy and exited the loo.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment