Tuesday 1 March 2011

The Announcement


B2b here. With the initial excitement subsiding, the reality dawning and the chiming of ‘I’m getting married in the morning’ finally easing off in my head, it became all too apparent that the next step for the fiancées would be the grand announcement. Whilst still in the icy, snowy bubble of Prague, amongst strangers and tourists, goulash and dumplings, nothing seemed quite real; but not to be fooled by this dreamlike world, a flash of my sparkly diamonds usually served as a handy reminder keep us grounded. It was with this glint in my eye and weight on my finger that I hesitatingly picked up my mobile phone and reached for my first speed dial...my mum.  
Having been told that my dad already knew the news, I was flabbergasted firstly that he agreed and secondly that he managed not to blurt it out as I was departing the house and keep me tied to the banister. As far as father daughter relationships go, I am definitely daddy’s little girl and I have been told on numerous occasions that I will not be leaving the family unit until I am at least 50, so it was a daunting prospect to face his reactions. Nonetheless it was my mum who I contacted first, as my dad is usually extremely busy and important. The international dial tone rang in my ear, H2b was finally turning a healthier shade of pink and we began our slippery descent down the snow covered rolling hills of Prague’s most romantic park. My mum answered the phone and as I told her the news, her reply was, “Ah, so he’s done it then?” Not quite the euphoric response I was seeking but I took it as a positive one nonetheless!
Upon telling my sister, her screams reverberated in my ears, as her excitement seemed to outweigh mine and when ringing my nan, thoughts turned to my granddad who will be sorely missed at our wedding, so the conversation ended with her “going to have a little cry.” H2B’s dad declared his intention to buy a new spotty bow tie in preparation for the big day and his mum a new hat. All in all, the responses seemed to be encouraging and my initial nerves about telling people were subsiding as I was touched by everyone’s kindness. Now being in a different country, it was obviously impossible to call everyone without racking up a phone bill the size of Wales, so we dubiously turned to the convenience of the social network. Unwilling to be one of those couples who tweets their way down the aisle, or relationship updates ‘Melanie Stead is now married to Shaughan Hawks’, the minute they say ‘I do’, I was sceptical about announcing my dreamy proposal online. However, with a few taps of the keys, a press of the return bar and a click on the ‘post’ button, we both broadcast our upcoming nuptials into cyber space. Responses were immense and overwhelming. We were touched. Thank you.
With everyone informed and our engagement finally made public, I can now concentrate on becoming a real fiancée, with real fiancée type responsibilities and lots of things to plan! First of all, an engagement party. That’s right...I want a party to celebrate me and him, in fact I think I might need three, one for southern family, one for friends and one for the northerners. And I’ll need cakes. Oh and champagne. Oh and a new dress for each. I think I’m going to like being engaged...
xB2bx

1 comment:

  1. Psssst, I have some more good news for you - you won my competition!

    http://clazzerati.blogspot.com/

    E-mail me your deets to clazzerati@gmail.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete